PhD Oral Examination - Plasmonic Optical Antennas (Wed April 6, 3:30pm, CIS-X 101)

Edward Barnard barnarde at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 21 17:25:08 PDT 2011

Plasmonic Optical Antennas
For Enhanced Light Detection and Emission

Edward S. Barnard
Stanford University
Department of Materials Science & Engineering
Advisor: Prof. Mark L. Brongersma
Wednesday April 6th 2011
3:30 pm
(Refreshments at 3:15 pm)
Location: Paul G. Allen Auditorium (CIS-X 101)
http://cis.stanford.edu/misc/directions.html
Abstract:
        Antennas are used in a wide range of frequencies in the electromagnetic spectrum to concentrate wave energy into electronic circuits. The principles that govern RF antennas can be applied to much higher frequencies and be applied to produce nanoscale plasmonic antennas that act as “receivers” and “transmitters” for visible light. This near-field concentration makes them excellent candidates for light trapping in solar cells, light concentration in sub-wavelength photodetectors, or even localized heating for cancer therapies.  However the optical properties of metals at visible frequencies make it difficult to apply traditional antenna design rules. Using full-field electromagnetic simulations and analytical antenna models, we developed new design rules for producing optical antennas with a desired set of optical properties. We then applied these design rules to create antennas that resonantly enhance both absorption of thin silicon photodetectors and emission of cathodo-luminescence (CL) photons. Through spatial and spectral mapping of both photocurrent and CL we clearly show the fundamental and higher-order resonant modes of these antennas. With CL we are also able to map the spatial distribution of these resonant modes with nanometer resolution. In addition to these specific demonstrated applications, the results of this study enable optical engineers to more easily design a myriad of plasmonic devices that employ optical antenna structures, including nanoscale photodetectors, light sources, sensors, and modulators.