Regarding metal etching.

James Harris harris at snow.stanford.edu
Thu Mar 31 01:57:15 PDT 2011

The metals choice looks OK for most of what we do, but being able to easily do parts of wafers is absolutely critical.
Jim Harris

On Mar 30, 2011, at 2:31 PM, Anu Chandran wrote:

> Hi All,
> This is a question for all who are/will be interested in metal etching. We are in the process of nailing down the specs for a new inductively coupled plasma metal etcher for SNF.  I would like to solicit input from lab members as to what would be critical for them.
> In the wish list we already have the following:
>
> Metals to be etched :
>
>  Au,Ag,Pt, Ti, Cr, Ni, Al
>
> Wafer Size:
> 4" to pieces
>
> Etch depth:
> up to 400nm
>
> Uniformity:
> 5%  over wafer
>
> Roughness:
> Shooting for <5nm rms. Seems like it varies a lot with metals and chemistry vs sputter etc.
>
> Profile:
> >85 deg
>
> Selectivity:
> Depends on chemistry and metal. Quite a range
>
> Please go ahead and add whatever you feel is important so that we can try to include it in the new system.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Regards
> Anu
>
> --
> Anu Chandran
> Materials Science & Engineering
> 476 Lomita Mall,McCullough Building
> Stanford CA 94305-4045
> T:6507236466 Lab
> T:6507234874 Office
> F:6507249851
>
> !DSPAM:4d93cf2088725532616921!

James S. Harris    '64
James & Ellenor Chesebrough Professor		E-Mail:Harris at snow.stanford.edu
 Department of Electrical Engineering			http://www-ee.stanford.edu/~harris/
 ALLEN Rm 328, 420 Via Palou Mall			Ph:  (650)723-9775
 Stanford, CA 94305-4075						Fax: (650)723-4659
 Adm. Asst.: Gail Chun-Creech					Ph:  (650)723-0983