ion implantation question

jim kruger jimkruger at
Tue Nov 22 06:43:17 PST 2011

The Innovion website,, has range statistics and other technical data.

Perhaps ask Innovion if you are not sure.  Add some test wafers( bare Si, Oxide / Si, whatever might make sense)  if you have only a few device wafers. I think the price is the same up to the load limit.

 From: John Shott <shott at>
To: Stephanie Claussen <sclaussen at>
Cc: "labmembers at" <labmembers at>
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2011 6:59 PM
Subject: Re: ion implantation question

What are the dose and energy of the implant that you plan to do?

To first order, the implant depth in oxide is comparable to that in silicon.  As I recall (don't take this as an accurate number) the mean implant depth of 100 keV phosphorus is about 125 nm. However, if you tried to use 125 nm of masking oxide, you'd be in serious trouble because fully half of the dopant would penetrate the oxide. Absent more accurate numbers, I'd suggest that a masking oxide thickness of 2.5 to 3.0 times the mean implant depth in silicon. For 100 keV phosphorus, I'd suggest that about 400 nm of oxide is probably safe. Note: heat treatment following implant also needs to be considered but is often a second order consideration unless post-implant heat treatment is really hot or long.

Let me know if you have other questions or are worried about trusting my now-addled memory about such matters.

Sent from my iPhone