Renovation countdown: 23 days!

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Tue Nov 22 18:36:38 PST 2011

Dear labmembers --

You may have noticed a number of people walking around the building in
construction helmets and orange vests.  Construction is well underway in
the basement and in the area above the lab.  Here's a quick update of
activities which may be relevant to your work here.

The former CAD room will soon house the new maintenance office area and
workshop.  The ASML emulator and CAD desktops are now located in the
cube area near the Maureen's office.  The probe
station/micromanipulator6000 is now located in room 144, near the cube
area (thanks to Andreas for setting it back up and even cleaning the
dust!)  These are still available for your use - please remember to
clean up when you are done.

We hand over the keys to the lab to contractors on Thursday, Dec. 15. To
make equipment safe to exist in a construction zone, process gases will
need to be purged, wet benches drained and rinsed, microscopes will be
removed, etc.  All this takes time, so tools will be shutdown in the
days leading up to 12/15.  We should have a schedule of planned tool
shutdown early next week, to help plan your work in December accordingly.

Please remember to remove all your personal items from bins and WIP
shelves by the morning of Monday, Dec. 12.  Items left in the lab will
be removed by staff.  (Remember, this will be a construction zone - any
damage to equipment will be covered by liability, but damaged masks and
wafers will not be.)  There will be no bin charges in December; bins
will assigned again when the lab reopens.

Lastly, the red lockers can be used for storing personal items, but they
will not be accessible during construction.  So anything you leave in
them will have to stay until the lab reopens.  We'd like to encourage
you to turn in you locker key if you don't think you will use it.

One more thing -- many thanks to everyone who cleaned up items in the
former CAD room and the cube area -- it helped enormously in staging our
moves.  And your understanding and support (which we will need more of
in coming weeks!) are greatly appreciated.

Your SNF Staff

Paul G. Allen Room 136, Mail Code 4070
mtang at stanford.edu
http://snf.stanford.edu