EE PhD Oral Examination - Srikant Vaithilingam, Friday Sept. 30, 2pm, CISX Auditorium

Srikant Vaithilingam srikantv at stanford.edu
Mon Sep 26 09:55:54 PDT 2011

Title: 	"Photoacoustic Imaging using Capacitive Micromachined Ultrasonic Transducers (CMUTs)"
Date:      Sept. 30, 2011 (Friday)
Time:     2:15 PM (Refreshments served at 2:00 PM)
Location: CISX Auditorium

Abstract:
Photoacoustic imaging is a relatively new medical imaging modality with tremendous clinical potential.
In this talk, I will explain the 'photoacoustic effect' – the conversion of short light pulses into ultrasonic waves – and how it allows us to obtain structural/functional information with high spatial resolution and sensitivity.
I will present details of a mechanical scanning photoacoustic imaging instrument that I developed including integrating the optics, acoustic transducer, electronics and software.
Using this instrument a number of unique photoacoustic molecular contrast agents have been designed and tested to visualize tumors.
I will then introduce capacitive micromachined ultrasonic transducer (CMUT) arrays as a possible technology platform to perform 3-D volumetric photoacoustic imaging with high sensitivity. CMUTs offer a number of advantages over traditional piezoelectric ultrasound transducers including batch fabrication, wide bandwidth transducers, ability to fabricate 2-D arrays with arbitrary geometries and tight integration with electronics.
I will show photoacoustic imaging results in tissue phantoms using CMUTs and preliminary results of real-time photoacoustic imaging.
Finally, I will introduce a new microfabrication process to make CMUTs that offers better reliability against dielectric breakdown and increased design flexibility.