making tiny through holes in glass substrate

Ben Jian ben.jian at arrayedfiberoptics.com
Thu Apr 5 21:24:33 PDT 2012

Hi Labmembers,

I am trying to find a cheap way to make some through holes in glass or
fused silica.  This is for a prototype device.  The holes are 135um +/-
10um and can have loose tolerance.  The glass substrate thickness should
be at least 100um.  The hole profile is not very important.  We want to
make a small number of holes (say 4x4) with a pitch of 500um.  We have
looked into laser drilling but the price is too high for us ($3000).  It
seems that very small diameter diamond drills of this diameter exist but
I don't know who can provide this service, because air bearing drilling
machines are required.  Does anyone have a low cost solution?  Thank you.

Ben