Fwd: [ee-doctorate] Oral Exam Announcement: Arka Majumdar

Arka Majumdar arkam at stanford.edu
Fri Apr 13 15:20:51 PDT 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Student Services" <studentservices at ee.stanford.edu>
To: ee-students at lists.stanford.edu
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:06:16 AM
Subject: [ee-doctorate] Oral Exam Announcement: Arka Majumdar

Solid State Cavity Quantum Electrodynamics with Quantum Dots Coupled to Photonic Crystal Cavities

Arka Majumdar

(Advisor: Prof. Jelena Vuckovic)

Date: Monday, April 16 th , 2012; Time: 2pm (Refreshment starts at 1:45 pm)

Venue: Paul G. Allen ( CIS - X ) Auditorium

Quantum dots (QDs) coupled to optical cavities constitute a scalable, robust, on-chip, semiconductor platform for probing fundamental cavity quantum electrodynamics. Very strong interaction between light and matter can be achieved in this system as a result of the field localization inside sub-cubic wavelength volumes leading to vacuum Rabi frequencies in the range of 10s of GHz. Such strong light-matter interaction produces an optical nonlinearity that is present even at single-photon level and is tunable at a very fast time-scale. This enables one to go beyond fundamental CQED studies and to employ such effects for building practical information processing devices. My PhD work has focused on both fundamental physics of the coupled QD-nanocavity system, as well as on several proof-of-principle devices for low-power optical information processing based on this platform.

We have demonstrated the effects of photon blockade and photon-induced tunneling, which confirm the quantum nature of the coupled dot-cavity system. Using these effects and the photon correlation measurements of light transmitted through the dot-cavity system, we identify the first and second order energy manifolds of the Jaynes-Cummings ladder describing the strong coupling between the quantum dot and the cavity field, and propose a new way to generate mutli-Fock states with high purity [1]. In addition, the interaction of the quantum dot with its semiconductor environment gives rise to novel phenomena unique to a solid state cavity QED system, namely phonon-mediated off-resonant dot-cavity coupling. We have employed this effect to perform cavity-assisted resonant quantum dot spectroscopy [2], which allows us to resolve frequency features far below the limit of a conventional spectrometer. Finally, the applications of such a coupled dot-cavity system in optical information processing including ultrafast, low power all-optical switching and electro-optic modulation are explored. With the light-matter interactions controlled at the most fundamental level, the nano-photonic devices we implemented on this platform operate at extremely low control powers and could achieve switching speeds potentially exceeding 10GHz [3].