EE PhD Oral Examination - Kevin C.Y. Huang, Friday May 4, 10am CISX-AUD

Kevin Chih-Yao Huang khu834 at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 26 11:53:24 PDT 2012

University PhD Dissertation Defense**

*Electrically driven optical antennas and slot waveguides: towards an
on-chip subwavelength light source*

* *

*Kevin Chih-Yao Huang*****

Department of Electrical Engineering

Advisor: Prof. Mark L. Brongersma****

** **

Friday May 4th 2012**

10:00 am****

(Refreshments at 9:45 am)****

** **

Location: Paul G. Allen Auditorium (CIS-X 101)****

http://cis.stanford.edu/directions/

**

Abstract:

The most recent developments in on-chip molecular sensing and high-speed
optical interconnection set stringent limits on the power consumption,
operating speed, and physical footprint of the constituent active devices.
In order to achieve new performance targets, it becomes particularly
important to scale down optical sources to the nanoscale. This effort is
inhibited by the fundamental diffraction limit of light, where the size
reduction of photonic elements dramatically increases optical losses,
thereby reducing the interaction strength of optoelectronic processes.

Metallic nanostructures which supports coupled electron and electromagnetic
wave oscillations called surface plasmon polaritons (SPPs) facilitate
stronger light-matter interaction at the nanoscale as they are capable of
concentrating and confining light to deep subwavelength volumes. These
plasmonic structures enable significant modification of the electromagnetic
environment, allowing nearby optical emission processes to be enhanced and
controlled. In my presentation, I discuss two examples that combine a
semiconductor quantum well (QW) with metallic nanostructures to realize
nano-light-emitting diodes (LEDs) with tailored emission properties.

In the first example, I illustrate the design methodology and demonstrate
experimentally, compact antenna-electrodes which facilitate simultaneous
operation as elec­trodes for current injection into nanoscale-LED and as
antennas capable of optically manipulating the electroluminescence. Differ­ent
designs of the antenna electrode dimensions show dipolar, quadrupolar and
higher order radiation patterns with enhanced directivity and polarization
ratio which are in good agreement with full-field numerical simulations.

In the second example, I demonstrate the integration of a metal-clad
nano-LED with metal-dielectric-metal slot waveguides to realize the
smallest electrically driven two-dimensionally confined guided optical mode
to date. The routing, splitting, free space coupling and directional
coupling of the slot waveguide mode are characterized to enable future
optical nano-circuits for high speed optical interconnects and sensing in
nanoscale volumes.