A call to action

Roger T. Howe rthowe at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 1 07:23:51 PDT 2012

Ben,

Needless to say, I would have appreciated your contacting me first with
your concerns rather than sending your email to the SNF community.  I
would be happy to meet with you and introduce you to John Bumgarner, the
Operations Director, who's been here for a little over one year now.  We
are working hard to make the SNF a more effective nanofab, with
significant investments in infrastructure upgrades and new tools by NSF
and Stanford.

The recent rate increases were discussed with the user community. The
recent rate changes reduced the hourly rate for the many academic users
who don't cap.  In order to make the net result revenue-neutral, we
increased the cap, which increased the cost for heavy users, including
several members of my own research group.

You needn't be concerned about any retributions from the SNF staff; if
you feel that there are issues about your treatment in the SNF, please
bring them to my attention.  I've cc'ed the Dean of Engineering, Jim
Plummer, to let him know your concerns.

Roger Howe