laser glass machining

Anthony Flannery aflannery at mcube-inc.com
Tue Aug 21 19:57:52 PDT 2012

Hi,

I have borrowed time on CO2 lasers on campus.  It's not efficient absorption
in glass, but it does work. I created a dwg file and used that for the
pattern. The one I used was in a specific research group and I don't know if
it is around anymore.

One piece of advice - metalize the surface with 1 um of aluminum before
ablating.   The slag from the machining will deposit back and make the
surface really crappy.  If you put down this metal layer, it's thin enough
that it ablates off quickly.  Also Al reflectivity in IR is not nearly so
high as in the visible spectrum (unlike gold).  Clean off the slag after the
ablation mechanically and with rinsing, and then follow with a sulfuric
perioxide clean. You'll get a nice clean surface.

Tony Flannery