Renovation Update: Lab reopening

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Tue Feb 7 12:58:06 PST 2012

Hello all --

Progress!  Renovation tasks continue.  The main Issue is with the
process cooling water which has turned out to be more extensive than
expected (through no fault of our awesome renovation team -- in fact,
they uncovered some undocumented modifications that would have left us
without backup.)  So, there will be two all-day shutdowns of the cooling
water planned for tomorrow and Friday this week, in addition to the
other smaller tasks.  There will also be a one-day shutdown of the
building nitrogen.  In between utility shutdowns, the maintenance staff
continues to turn on and assess/address equipment issues where they can.

With this as the plan of record, we believe we should be able to reopen
the lab some time next week.  We should have a more specific day/time in
the next couple of days.

In the meantime, the lab remains closed to all except relevant
personnel.  Volunteers are welcome to help us with moving small tools
and tables, as well as wiping down and decontaminating surfaces -- check
with Staff.  Please also do not cross red tape barriers in the hall
outside the gowning room, as the crew begins construction of the nano-
Surfaces & Interfaces Lab (nSiL, formerly referred to as the
Nanosynthesis Lab).

Thanks for your patience --

Your SNF Staff

Paul G. Allen Room 136, Mail Code 4070