Renovation Update/Tentative Lab Opening Date - Wed!

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Fri Feb 10 17:01:06 PST 2012

Dear Labmembers --

Thanks for your patience.  Things are really finally coming together.
The contractors are done with the lab.   However, work on some
facilities continues.  The Stanford Building services group is now
tidying up loose ends.  Today, the process cooling water, compressed
air, and the scrubbers were down.  Scrubbers will remain down through
probably through Monday, which means no chemicals or other hazardous
materials can be used.  Monday, we will lose nitrogen for the building.
This should be the last of the facilities shutdowns.  Over the past 10
days, in between shutdowns, staff has been cautiously turning on tools
and making repairs to those that didn't do well with the long shutdown.
Staff have also been busy unpacking stored items, wiping every surface
down, and preparing space for the new etchers due to arrive shortly.
(MANY thanks to those labmembers who came in to help wipe, scrape, haul,
and label!)  However, because of the facilities shutdowns, there has
been little opportunity to test the equipment so tool status is still
largely uncertain.Tuesday, we hope we will be fully back online with
facilities to continue with decontamination and systems testing.

We're tentatively hoping to reopen the lab on *Wednesday morning, at 10
am*.  This will allow the staff to meet in the morning to assess the lab
and update Coral.  Please make sure to check Coral for details on tool
status as we do expect some critical tools to remain down and other
tools to be functionally tested, but not process-qualified.  This time
and date may be subject to change -- we will let you know as soon as we
do of any definite changes to the plan.

James reports the Raith system has been fully tested and should be ready
to use Tuesday.  Please check Coral for status and check with James
about using the system -- please be aware that support systems (coaters,
for example) may not be available then.

Lastly, the next phase of the renovation is beginning:  the nSiL (Nano
Structure Interfaces Lab).  The corridor at the end of the hall is
blocked off as a construction zone.  Make sure to respect the barriers
and signs.

Your SNF Staff

Paul G. Allen Room 136, Mail Code 4070
mtang at stanford.edu