EE Ph.D. Oral Examination: Jae-Woong Jeong, Feb. 27 at 3:00 pm, CIS-X Auditorium

Jae-Woong Jeong jjeong1 at stanford.edu
Sun Feb 19 15:35:11 PST 2012

Stanford University Ph.D. Oral Examination - Department of Electrical
Engineering

Title:

Design of Optical Microsystems:

Applications in Biomedical Imaging and Optical Communication

Speaker: Jae-Woong Jeong

Advisor: Professor Olav Solgaard

Date: Monday, February 27, 2012

Time: 3:00 pm (refreshments at 2:45 pm)

Location: Allen-X Auditorium (formerly CIS-X Auditorium) - Room 101

Abstract:

Scaling of optical systems can open up new opportunities for various
applications by enabling what would not be possible on a larger scale. Such
miniaturized optical systems can be achieved through optical MEMS
(Micro-electro-mechanical systems) technology. This technology not only
enables optical devices with high performance and high functionality, but
also allows miniaturization, integration, and batch fabrication of optical
systems, making them portable, reliable, and cost-effective. In this talk,
I will present two novel optical microsystems for applications in
biomedical imaging and optical communication.

    In the first part of my talk, I will introduce the 3-D MEMS scanning
system for a miniature dual-axis confocal (DAC) microendoscope, which is an
emerging biomedical imaging modality with high resolution, good tissue
penetration, large field of view, and the ability to provide both
reflectance and fluorescence contrast images. A pair of MEMS scanners (2-D
lateral and 1-D vertical MEMS scanners) that are designed to achieve 3-D
scanning in an endoscope-compatible imaging probe will be presented. In
addition, front-side processing of the scanners that enables not only
simple and cost-effective fabrication but also compact and robust
structures will be described. Co-operation of a 2-D lateral scanner and a
1-D vertical scanner enables fast 3-D microscopy over a volume that
measures 340μm X 236μm X 286μm. I will describe the principle of the
all-MEMS-based 3-D scanning DAC microscopy that gives the functionality of
OCT to a confocal microscope by producing real-time imaging along the axial
direction of the microscope.

    In the second part of my talk, I will describe the design, fabrication,
and characterization of a multi-functional tunable optical filter, which is
a key element for dynamic wavelength provisioning in reconfigurable optical
networks and communication systems. This filter can control both the center
wavelength and the passband independently and continuously, using a MEMS
spatial light modulator (SLM) that is implemented with gold-coated mirrors
microassembled on a MEMS platform. The design of SLM with large
displacement bi-directional combdrive actuators will be demonstrated. Also,
MEMS platform technology that enables a compact chip size with large
apertures and high-quality optical mirrors will be presented. To verify the
performance of the filter, it has been tested as an amplified spontaneous
emission (ASE) noise rejection filter in a 10Gb/s optical communication
system. I will discuss the filtering performance in the optical system in
terms of bit error rate improvement.