Reminder: Pamela Bhatti (Georgia Tech), Seminar 4-5 TODAY, Clark Center Aud.

Roger T. Howe rthowe at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 27 07:09:43 PST 2012

*MEMS-based Approaches to Overcoming Sensory Loss in the Auditory and Vestibular
Systems*

Presented by:

*Prof. Pamela T. Bhatti*
School of Electrical and Computer
Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology

*Monday, February 27, 2012*
*Clark Center Auditorium*
*4:00 PM*

*Abstract:*
In the BioSystems Interface Laboratory we develop novel sensing and
stimulating systems to
overcome sensory loss. To enhance sound perception with cochlear
implants, we have
developed advanced thin-film intracochlear electrode arrays. Moving to
the vestibular system,
we pursue both an implantable and non-implantable systems. Analogous to
a cochlear implant,
we are developing a vestibular prosthesis to convey head rotation cues
to the vestibular system
through electrical stimulation of vestibular nerve fibers to overcome
debilitating bilateral
vestibular hypofunction. Complementing our work in implantable systems,
we have developed
a head worn angular motion monitoring system to aid patients in
completing vestibular
rehabilitation exercises at home. By utilizing a user-friendly interface
to the system we hope to
facilitate the transfer of patient measures to a clinic between
rehabilitation sessions.

*Short Bio:*
Dr. Pamela Bhatti is an Assistant Professor in the School of Electrical
and Computer Engineering
at Georgia Tech in Atlanta, GA. She received a B.S. in Engineering
Science (Bioengineering) from
the University of California, Berkeley in 1989, an M.S. in
Electrical Engineering from the University
of Washington in 1993, and a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from the
University of Michigan, Ann
Arbor in 2006 with an emphasis on Micro-electro Mechanical
Systems (MEMS). Before completing
her Ph.D., she researched the detection of breast cancer with ultrasound
imaging at the University
of Michigan's Department of Radiology (1997-1999). Her industry
experience includes embedded
systems software development at Microware Corporation, Des Moines, IA
(1996-1997), local
operating network applications development and customer support at Motorola
Semiconductor in Austin, TX (1994-1995), and research and fabrication of
controlled-release
drug delivery systems at Alza Corporation in Palo Alto, CA (1986-1990).
Pamela received the
NSF CAREER Award in 2011. Committed to translating technology to the
clinical setting, she is a
KL2 Scholar with the Atlanta Clinical and Translations Sciences Institute.