What do you think about the reproducibility of AFM?(Please forget the last email)

kangning kangning at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 27 15:38:51 PST 2012

Hi all,

To avoid confusion on my last question I am resending a new one. Sorry for the spam.

I am doing modification to a polymeric substrate and I want to track the change of the depth of a cavity on it. It is 300-nm deep, 800-nm wide and the possible change in depth after modification is about several to several tens of nanometer. In another word, I want to tell if the cavity changes from 300-nm deep to 305-nm deep, or from 300-nm deep to 295-nm deep. I was wondering whether the AFM is capable to of telling this difference, as the modification would take several hours, or even longer time so I can not do the measurement in a single run.

I would really like to get suggestions from those who know AFM well. Could anyone tell me your idea on the reproducibility of AFM? Concerning the experiments at different time, are they reliable on telling the change of several nanometers on the measure scale of several hundreds of nanometers? Also, will it affect much if the measurement last several days or the cantilever is heavily used or replaced? Any response will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kangning

2012-02-27

kangning