Disk usage ...

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 24 08:35:02 PDT 2012

SNF Lab Members:

We are, once again, nearly out of disk space.  Yesterday, we were so
close to that limit that our computers were responding slowly.  In fact,
I received several reports that "Coral was not working ..."  Coral was
100% functional and available.

You can help by cleaning up unused files.

Here is hte list of folks that are using more than 100 MB of space on
our machine in decreasing order of usage listed in kilobytes.  While SNF
staff have more cause to have significant disk usage, I'm hopeful that
everyone will look at their own usage and clean up where appropriate.

If you want to look at more details of your own usage, you can issue the
command:

du -sk * | more

This will list the size of each file or directory in kilobytes.  If one
of your directories is large, you can enter it with 'cd some_directory'
and repeat the above command.  In that way you should be able to find
your biggest files and determine if you need to store them on this machine.

In the meantime, I will be looking at the annual "wiping" of directories
for people who have not been active in SNF for some time.

Thanks for your consideration .... here is the list.

John

1785905 jwc
1463301 bchui
605636  lichenkolo