Selective dry etching of SiN from silicon

Jim McVittie mcvittie at stanford.edu
Tue Jun 12 09:36:03 PDT 2012

Donguk,

In a CHF3/O2 process if you up the O2 percentage you will increase your sel of nitride to oxide (See Stocker paper for work done on AMT type etcher). By using N2 instead of O2, you can get high sel of nitr to poly-Si at high percentages of N2 (See Li paper for work done in (MRC/Drytek4)RIE type tool. You  can also get high sel to Si using CF4 or NF3 in high percentages of O2 (See Kastenmeier paper fpr work done in a downstream uwave etcher. The Gasonic is the closest tool like this which have but it dose not have Cf4 or NF3.).

   Jim

Stocker, H.J. et al. "Selective reactive ion etching of silicon nitride on
       oxide in a multifacet ('HEX') plasma etching machine" 35th National
       Symposium of the American Vacuum Society. Held: Atlanta, GA, USA 2-7
       Oct. 1988. J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A, Vac. Surf. Films (USA), Journal of
       Vacuum Science & Technology A (Vacuum, Surfaces, and Films) (May-June
       1989) vol.7, no.3, pt.1 p. 1145-9

 Li, Y.X. et al. "Selective reactive ion etching of silicon nitride over
       silicon using CHF/sub 3/ with N/sub 2/ addition" JOURNAL OF VACUUM
       SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY B (MICROELECTRONICS AND NANOMETER STRUCTURES)
       Sept.-Oct. 1995. vol.13, no.5, p. 2008-12

Kastenmeier, B.E.E. et al. "Highly selective etching of silicon nitride
      over silicon and silicon dioxide" JOURNAL OF VACUUM SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
      A (VACUUM, SURFACES, AND FILMS)  AIP for American Vacuum Soc, Nov. 1999.
      vol.17, no.6, p. 3179-84