Etcher Installation Update -June 2012

Ed Myers edmyers at stanford.edu
Fri Jun 15 17:13:43 PDT 2012

Lab Members,

I want to let everyone know a major hurdle to the start-up of the four
new dry etch systems has been passed.  This week we received the
installation permit from Santa Clara County.  This allows us to move
forward.  If you have been watching the installation process you will
see most of the mechanical work has been completed (process gas, cooling
water, exhaust, pump lines and electrical).  Only a few items such as
certification of the gas lines, seismic bracing and smaller items such
as labeling and protective decking need to be completed.  We are close
enough that we have contacted the equipment vendors to schedule their
first visit.  The first visit is the service group to verify the tool
hook-ups and the mechanical functionality of the systems.  We will not
run any process work at this time.

The second hurdle yet ahead of us is the Toxic Gas Ordinance (TGO)
permit.  This permit is in review with Santa Clara County.  We must have
this permit issued before we can charge any of the new lines with
process gases.  If the timing works out correctly, we should receive the
TGO permit right about the time the service groups have completed there
tool functionality verification.  Optimistically this means process
development could commence in 6 to 8 weeks.   Yes, we are working to
pull this in.

You have most likely noticed the new ALD and MVD systems are also
waiting.  The first PO's for their installation was submitted last
week.  This PO is for the design and permit package preparation.  The PO
covers the drawings and calculations for all the piping, exhaust,
electrical, seismic and code analysis for both tools.  The next
objective for the ALD/MVD project is to issue PO's and get started on
the electrical and mechanical work.  Just as with the etchers, we hope
to be nearly completed with the installation when the permits arrive.

Regards,
SNF Staff