Lab Evacuation: OK now

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Fri Mar 2 12:50:37 PST 2012

Dear Labmembers --

There was a toxic gas alarm, but the lab is OK to enter now.

For those of you who were the lab when the toxic gas alarm went off a
few minutes ago:  Just so you know, THAT WAS REAL.  Unless you are told
otherwise, in advance, you should LEAVE the lab through the nearest
exit.  DO NOT make us come and get you!  (Actually, we won't.  We'll
just remove your lab privileges, in the event it is a false alarm and
you survive.)  I know there has been a lot of testing with the
renovation, but labmembers have been informed in advance of any testing.
  This was NOT a test.

Luckily, this was also not a life threatening situation.  We were
testing the new TLC clean system on thermco3 and there was an apparent
leak into the exhaust.  Luckily, this was the exhaust so there was no
exposure to users in the lab.

And many, many thanks to those who responded as quickly as they did --
you're heroes!

Mary

Paul G. Allen Room 136, Mail Code 4070
mtang at stanford.edu