Blue TGO alarms last night .... SNF open for business

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 29 09:11:48 PDT 2012

SNF Lab Members:

If you were here last night, you know that the blue TGO alarms went off
at about 11:50 p.m.  The event that triggered this alarm was an apparent
failure of the exhaust system in the clean room.  I say "apparent"
because it is not yet clear whether the exhaust actually failed or
whether the pressure sensors that monitor the system failed.  We are
working with the appropriate facilities personnel this morning to try to
sort that out.  I believe that the alarms were silenced at about 12:20
a.m. when the Palo Alto Fire Department reset the system.

I can tell you with confidence, however, that there was no gas leak last
night even though the blue alarms went off.

I also believe that all gas cabinets have been reset so that pressures
and flows should behave normally.  However, after an event of this type,
it is always wise to carefully monitor gas flows and pressures carefully
to look for any anomalous conditions.

The lab is, however, fully operational this morning.