Sonny Vo's Defense Friday 2pm CisAud. Reception at 1:45pm

Sonny Vo svo at stanford.edu
Tue Oct 16 11:57:11 PDT 2012

Dear labmembers,
After 5+ years of working alongside so many of you, i am ready to depart
our stone roof museum. I leave with so many fond memories working day and
nights with so many of you. The staffs, from Mary and Ed who had helped me
get started with my 8 masks process flow during my first two years to
Maurice who only just a few months ago held my hand through a critical
wafer dicing operation. I feel truly lucky to be around such outstanding
people that i do not want to work anywhere else but nearby.
 So what i ended up doing was I went down the street along PageMills,
knocked on the door of HP Labs and convinced them to give me a job in
exchange for some boy scout cookies i had bought in front of the San
Antonio Walmart. It worked! 21st century entrepreneurship at work here.
 Some of you are probably saying 'oh crap!' but yes you haven't gotten rid
of me yet! :)

Warmest Regards,
Sonny

----***
Department of Applied physics, Stanford University
research group: http://snow.stanford.edu/index.html*
626-216-4597

*
*
*Towards Near Field Applications using Nano-Aperture VCSELs: *

Near-field optical microscopy requires extremely high optical fields in
proximity to the object being probed.  However, when light propagates
through conventional circular or square shaped apertures, the
power-throughput decays as the fourth power of the aperture size. We
present a vast diversity of unconventionally-shaped apertures exhibiting
extra-ordinary enhancement in both power transmission and near-field
intensity that can be one million times greater than the conventional
circular- or square-shaped apertures. These apertures can be shaped like a
C , an L or a bowtie.   They can also be iterated into a fractal-structure
resulting in many interesting optical properties or can be enhanced by
plasmonic rings. Experiments using electron-energy loss spectroscopy (EELS)
with sub-nanometer resolution revealed the near-field spot-size and the
plasmon energy ranges of the apertures.

These unconventional apertures and arrays of such apertures were
incorporated into Vertical cavity surface emitting lasers (VCSELs); this
integrated near-field device demonstrated a power density of 50mW/μm2, five
times larger than the power density required for high-density optical
recording. Finally, a novel architecture that combines a VCSEL with an
NSOM-like tip (VCSEL nanoscope) into an integrated device will be
presented.  The VCSEL nanoscope can serve as a powerful device to
manipulate and probe the nanoscale such as single molecule manipulation and
detection, high throughput wafer defect detection and near-field coupling
to waveguides for optical interconnects.