Lam Poly update

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 9 10:41:19 PDT 2009

Hi Junil and Lampoly users:

My apologies for not posting a formal update sooner. Here's the
information as of last night. The clamp assembly was damaged and most of
the parts have arrived. The remaining parts are due in on Monday, though
we will attempt to get these expedited. In terms of what happened, as
far as we can tell, one of the six spring rod assemblies which holds the
clamp was binding so that when compressed, it stood more than 1/4"
longer than the rest of the rods. In combination with the double-thick
sample that was being processed, this resulted in the clamp not pressing
parallel to the chuck. You may have seen from the Coral report, the gap
drive assembly became jammed as it tried to press down on an uneven
surface. And the clamp assembly snapped as a result. Cesar has repaired
the gap drive as far as we can tell. Some additional calibrations need
to be done. We can probably do this without the whole clamp assembly.

So, as best as we can figure, the parts should be here on Monday, so we
hope to have everything reassembled then and ready for testing. Usha has
kindly agreed to follow up with qualification, should the equipment
check out OK.

Mary

--
Mary X. Tang, Ph.D.