[lampoly] Lampoly Update

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Wed May 8 21:40:52 PDT 2013

Dear lampoly users --

Today marks exactly 3 months since lampoly went down, hard.  I know an
update is long overdue and am sorry to say I've no news to report.
Although this machine is not very well utilized, it has certain special
capabilities.  I expect many people have found alternatives acceptable
for less critical processes (amtetcher, p5000etch ChC) but that those
who need precision etch control this system can achieve are at a loss.

SNF staff are investigating several possible solutions, both near and
long term.

In the near term, the UC Berkeley Marvel lab has a nearly identical
system with the same base processes.  If you would like to explore this
alternative, please get in touch with me, as we are setting up a process
for moving material and/or people between our two labs. I'd also like to
take the liberty of offering up the process expertise of J Provine, who
is familiar with and has used the Berkeley system and Ed, who is in the
process of mapping Berkeley and SNF processes.  Ed and Brett have also
begun working with Kim to see if one of the new PlasmaTherm etchers can
meet her process needs - it's not likely to be a one-to-one match, but
may offer the vertical wall profiles and clean etch she requires.  If
anyone is interested in helping, I am sure it would appreciated.

Longer term, we will need to come up with a solution that gives us a
system that is supportable -- in recent years, downtime has become
increasingly high for the low use this system sees.  Lam does not
service this legacy system and quality third-party service has been
difficult to find.  The solution may be to upgrade our system to current
standard or perhaps replace it altogether.  Ed & Brett are looking into
upgrade options now.  We expect to decide in coming weeks, but execution
may still be months.  Meanwhile, the maintenance team continues to track
down replacement parts and boards.

Lastly, Kim suggests that the Lam user community work together to share
information and resources.   I believe membership of this mail list
(lampoly at snf.stanford.edu) is comprised of everyone with a badger
account who is qualified on lampoly as of mid-February. Please feel free
to forward to anyone you know who might not be on the list, either
because they haven't been qualified on the lam but would like to be
(like Kim) or haven't made the leap to Badger yet. (Anyone can subscribe
at: http://snf.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo)

Thanks for your attention -- and patience --

Mary

--
Mary X. Tang, Ph.D.
Stanford Nanofabrication Facility