[lampoly] Lampoly Update

Pradeep Nataraj pradeep.nataraj at gmail.com
Thu May 9 00:40:56 PDT 2013

Mary,

Lam poly was one of the really good etchers we had in terms of selective
etching.

It all started during holidays shut down. To my common sense we should
never shutoff old tools like Lam poly during the X-mas break. I am not sure
why did we completely shutoff the tool. Could we have just shutoff all the
gasses and let hardware and the computer controller running? ( I am not
sure that I may not know about the interlocks)

Also for coming holiday shutdown, can we try not shutdown hardware
controllers on older tools? If I remember correctly STS PECVD had the same
problem.

I don't know about other users opinion, I have no confidence in Plasma
Therm etchers. The tool is very sensitive, any time I load a wafer I have
to pray that my wafer will come back!  Plasma Therm is no match for Lam
Poly in terms of wafer recovery reliability. If we have to spend reasonable
amount of money to upgrade the hardware/software interface we should do it.

I am for one who knows how hard you trying to bring the tool up and I know
for sure it is your most beloved tool.

Whenever in future when SNF decides to buy new tools, can SNF staff please
include super users or lab addicts in the loop for our inputs?  Any good or
bad feedback can't hurt.

We all want our lab to succeed and stay on top.

Bringing any new tools must be accurately thought out of its purpose and
it’s usage that will help users.

I am willing to help out any ways even going to Berkeley, if it helps us.

Thank you for listening.

 Pradeep