Target B mount damaged

Ed Myers edmyers at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 16 11:40:31 PST 2005

Metalica Users,

I inspected the mounting surface for target B.  The surface was damaged
from sputtering using a depleted target.  The mounting surface was damaged,
but can still be used.  We will need to either resurface or replace the
target mounting.

If you have a high power deposition, I recommend you use target A.  The
mounting surface is smoother and will provide better thermal conductivity
for heat removal.

This was an avoidable mistake.  Make sure the target has sufficient life
for your deposition.   Not only damaging the system, your samples have also
been compromised.  You have added both the silver paste and stainless steel
to your deposited film.

Regards,