Move the up/down knob slowly ...

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Fri Mar 12 08:41:58 PST 2010

Micromanipulator 6000 Community:

Because of heavy damage on the threaded brass piece, when we re-assembled
the system up/down system, we lowered part of the assembly to take advantage of a region
of less-damaged threads.  This, however, slightly misaligns the nylon
belts that connect the up/down knob to the actual part that controls the
motion.

Please turn this knob slowly when moving the stage up/down.  If you turn
it quickly, the nylon belt will be thrown off of the drive pulleys and
will no longer control the up/down motion of the stage.

Thanks for your continued support,

John

p.s. We are having 5 new brass pieces machined for us at the Physics
Machine Shop.  Those will not be available until late next week.  Until
they are available, we have no alternative to trying to treat this
system gently.