Measurements above 42 volts ...

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Wed Dec 5 13:05:14 PST 2012

Micromanipulator 6000 Community:

Several of you have noticed that the Agilent B1500 limits measurements
to +/- 42 volts even though the SMUs are capable of supplying up to +/-
100 volts.

There is an interlock circuit on the back of the B1500 that is supposed
to be connected to switches that prevent voltages higher than 42 volts
from being applied unless protective enclosures are in place.  I've
learned that most other places using a B1500 have simply shorted out the
interlock switch at the back of the unit.

We have installed a pair of magnetic proximity switches in the probe
station enclosure so that the interlock will be happy (that is the
switches are closed) when the copper cover on the probe station is fully
down.  As a result those of you needing to apply voltages greater than
42 volts can no do so if you simply fully close the cover of the probe
station enclosure.

John