[micromanipulator6000] Update ...

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Wed May 15 09:03:48 PDT 2013

Micromanipulator (and I-V measurement) users:

As you know, the Agilent B1500A is still out for repair.  It is
currently scheduled for return early next week.

Several of you have noted that the HP 4145B has had a variety of disk
problems.  While I was able to resolve the mechanical issues related to
inserting and removing disks, even once that has been resolved, the disk
is reporting read errors.  I fear that this means that mechanical force
may have misaligned the read heads.

As you may know, even though this looks to  be a "normal" DOS floppy
disk drive, it is anything but normal: it spins at a different speed,
has a different data rate, and uses different formatting.  As a result,
there is no easy "run to Fry's" solution.  I have, however, found a
service in Wisconsin that will take our disk drive in trade and return
us a refurbished unit.  Our drive is being Fedexed to them today and I'm
hopeful that we may have a functional replacement drive in our hands
before the end of the week.

I will keep you posted,

John