Ar+ sputter etching Au on AlGaAs

Vincenzo Lordi vlordi at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 24 18:35:07 PST 2005

Hi.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience in using an Ar+ sputter
etch to etch Au lines using e-beam patterned photoresist. I need to
etch lines ranging from 40nm to 100nm in width and 20nm deep into Au
that is deposited on top of AlGaAs, preferably through an e-beam
defined photoresist mask.

Any information would be useful, even if your experience is not
directly with Au. Typical conditions and etch rates of metal vs.
photoresist would be helpful, as well as suggestions to point me in
the right direction to work out this process.

Thanks,
-Vince