Raising the horns -- and then removing them (Pt etch question)

Mihir Tendulkar mihirt at stanford.edu
Thu Jun 17 15:21:58 PDT 2010

Hi MRC users,

I've discovered that when I sputter etch Pt in the MRC, using the recipe listed in the logbook, I get substantial redeposition at the corners of my features, resulting in "horns" that short out my devices.

I am going to try depositing at a higher pressure to get a more isotropic etch and hopefully get rid of these features. Has anyone found a recipe that works well for this purpose? Sidewall sharpness is not critical for me.

Thanks in advance.

Mihir Tendulkar
Applied Physics PhD Candidate
Nishi Group, Stanford University