Raising the horns -- and then removing them (Pt etch question)

jim kruger jimkruger at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 17 17:00:35 PDT 2010

You did not say how thick is the Pt.  Stop on what material?

2 approaches:
 I etch 300 A Pt with a resist mask (about 1.6 um), P=12 mTorr, 80 watts, then clean away sidewalls by acetone  soak for 7 or 10 minutes, then gentle acetone swab with a foam-tip swab from Litho, keep the wafer wet with acetone, flush with acetone, then IPA and blow dry.

2nd approach if it fits your process:  use a thin hard mask of Cr or Ti or PECVD SiO2.  The sidewall deposition is limited to the thickness of the hard mask.

Higher sputtering pressure just makes it worse.

jim