diagnostic etch wafers and processes

Vijit Sabnis vsabnis at snowmass.Stanford.EDU
Wed Jul 17 10:16:11 PDT 2002

Hi:

I think Randy's suggestion is a good one.  GaAs and InP
are the most commonly used materials etched in the pquest, so
I think that they should be used to track the performance of the
pquest over time.  Si will not normally be etched in the
Cl2/BCl3/Ar chemistries so we should stick with GaAs/InP despite
the cost.

- vijit

> Pquest Users,
>
> I'd like to get some feedback on a proposal. The proposal is to define
> standard wafers and etch process to use as a diagnostic for the Pquest.
> Then when the tool comes back up after a shutdown or when problems are
> suspected , one of these wafers can be etched and parameters such as the
> bias voltage and etch rate can be recorded. This data can then be
> tracked over time so that if a users starts thinking that his particular
> etch process (on his particular wafers) is deviating, at least we can
> determine whether the standard etch process is behaving as expected.
>
> So, I'm asking the pquest users for suggestions on what to use as the
> standard wafers and etch recipe. Is a GaAs etch the most common? Would
> it be feasible to substitue cheaper Si wafers for GaAs?
>
> Thanks,
> Randy True

Vijit Sabnis
vsabnis at snow.stanford.edu