Report on Recent PlasmaQuest Problem

Mon Jun 17 12:15:10 PDT 2002

PlasmaQuest Problems

Here is a list of the problems reported during the week of June11 and what
I think needs to be done.

Poor RF tuning - (reported by Vijit Sabnis and others) It appears that the
matching network controller needs to be adjusted. I suspect that the gain
needs to be increased. Vitit and I tried to do these adjustment on Friday
but were not successful. I have another matching network of the same type.
I will try to work out the adjustment procedure off line before another
attempt. In the mean time, users will have to continue to first do a rough
manual tune before switching over to auto tune.

Bias Voltage - (reported by Vijit Sabnis) The bias voltage read out is
intermittent. We found that the bias voltage cable connector, which
supplies dc voltage for the buffer amp for the DC output, was loose. We
were able to fine one of the 2 missing screws on the floor under the
connector. After putting in this screw, we got a stable DC reading for the
rest of our time on the system. Note that Vitit did report poor etch
results, which correlated with a zero bias voltage read out. I am hoping
that this problem was due to chamber poisoning (see below) and not to a
real plasma problem. We will have to keep an eye on this issue.

Bias Voltage Calibration error - While investigating the DC bias problem,
I hooked up an O-scope onto the RF feed to the cathode. For the process
conditions that we were using, we found that actual DC bias voltage was 80
V while the DC readout gave a value of only 43.5V.  Although I need to
verify the O-scoped calibration, I suspect that the DC readout is where
the error is. More work is needed on this issue. I will let you know as we
find out more. No recalibrations will be done without telling the users
how to translate between old and new reading.

Low etch rate - (reported by Daniel Weaver and Yi Dong) - The etch rate of
GaAs has dropped by 30 %. I suspect that this problem was caused by F
poisoning of the chamber walls. I believe there was a long nitride etch
using F based chemistry done in the chamber before the GaAs run.
If this is indeed the case, the solution is to keep minimize the use of F
based chemistry in the chamber and to use longer seasoning steps after the
use of F chemistry. I have a new optical spectrometer that may be useful
in determining  proper seasoning times. Friday evening after Vijit and I
had been running the std GaAs etch conditions for at least a hour, Daniel
was able to etch his GaAs sample with good results. This is consistent
with the argument that the chamber needed a longer seasoning. So the
problem seems to be gone for now.

Dummy wafers turning blue - (reported by Yi Dong) - About the time that Yi
and Daniel were seeing the low etch, they also observed the dummy wafer
coming out blue after their seasoning step. I was not able to see the
wafer in question. I suspect that they may have been seeing what is called
"black silicon". Occasionally, we see this problem in other Cl based etch
tools in the lab. It is due to micro-masking on the Si surface most likely
from oxide and etch products on the wafer surface.  Note that in the P5000
where we see "black silicon" more often the wafers come up with a light
blue color.  In the P5000 etcher we get around this problem by using dummy
wafers which have an oxide pattern on them. Since this problem for the PQ
has not been reported to me in the past, I suspect that the chamber
poisoning that was causing the reduced etch rated also played a role in
this problem.

PQ is not of the best design and has been heavily modified by us over the
years.  Because users have recently started to run the system at higher
cathode temperatures, we recently changed from teflon load pins to a
higher temperature polymer. Perhaps, the loading system needs some
adjustments with these new pins. I will ask the maintenance tech about
this issue.
			Jim
James P. McVittie	                Senior Research Scientist
Allen Center for Integrated Systems     jmcvittie at stanford.edu
Stanford University             	Tel: (650) 725-3640
Rm. 336, 330 Serra Mall			Fax: (650) 723-4659
Stanford, CA 94305-4075