PQuest Reservation Restrictions

Dan Grupp grupp at snowmass.Stanford.EDU
Thu Dec 18 10:44:50 PST 2003

Hello Mark,
   First, it is good to know that your problems with the etcher have gone
away. Second, I am thankful that you have created such a useful resource.
This is your gift to the community from which we all benefit.
   I would like to point out that if the schedule is changed, the usage on
the machine would stay the same. Since that is  true, it seems
unreasonable to have a machine which sits largely idle, while people
struggle to get what they need done in a cramped allotment of time. I
suggest simply that Wednesday be added to the non-GaAs time.
   Further, I hope we can find some room for flexibility through
communication. Is it workable if no GaAs users have signed up on Wed or
Sat to request from the GaAs users to extend the non-GaAs etch period into
that time on that day?
   I would be very disappointed if we, as a small group, cannot manage
such a small negotiation. My dissappointment would not be so much for the
loss of the time, but for the implication that if we can't manage it, how
do we expect the larger world to deal with much more important issues?
Really, if we can't do something this simple in our own lives, what right
do we have to ask people in places like the middle east to do it?
Regards,
Dan

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Mark Wistey wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Randall True wrote:
> > From discussions with other non-III-V users, NONE of us are happy with the
> > situation. In fact, we are very unhappy with it.
>
> The III-V people pooled their money and bought a nice dry etcher, and
> they're letting you have 43% of the time on the machine.  If the
> existing situation is so untenable, and if there are as many people as
> unhappy as you say, it should be easy for you to pool all your money
> and come up with your own machine.
>
> On the other hand, the mysterious problems the "high-aluminum AlGaAs"
> users were having were mysteriously solved when the week was split.
> This was about the simplest, most effective way of resolving user
> conflict that I've seen.  Your complaints are that you have to work
> on Sunday.  My complaints were that I lost irreplaceable samples, for
> reasons that nobody could explain, on a machine that my group
> significantly paid for.  Enough said?
>
>  - Mark

Dr. Daniel Grupp, Visiting Scholar
Center for Integrated Systems