Poll on Use of PQuest at 200C

Randall True true at snf.stanford.edu
Mon Nov 3 14:38:50 PST 2003

Jim,

I do not think that a new high temperature H2 process should be approved
on the PQuest. As you know very well, we have had many problems with the
Pquest in the recent past, both with availibility and compatibility of
processes. The is why you adopted a policy of no new processes on the
system. Since you established that policy and decided to split the week
between GaAs and Non-GaAs, no further experiments have been done to
investigate what the root cause of the processing problems were. Moreover,
you never provided the compiled list of approved Non-GaAs processes as
promised. Given that procedures for introducing new Non-GaAs processes, or
even evaluating currently used ones, have not been put in place, I don't
think it is appropriate to approve this new high-temp H2 process. This
would be inconsistent with your policy changes in June.

I also have concerns about running the system at 200C. If something goes
wrong, the system could be down for a considerable amount of time. I think
another, non-high performance etcher, like drytek4 or MRC should be used
instead. I, my company, and many other users are counting on the PQuest
being operational and consistent, and we cannot afford for it to go down
yet again.

--Randy