Poll on Use of PQuest at 200C

Jim McVittie mcvittie at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Nov 5 13:07:10 PST 2003

Mike,

When the PQuest was first installed, the wafer chuck was heated above 100C a
number of times
to do silicon nitride depositions with no problems caused by the temperature.
The main problem
from the deposition runs was by-products on the chamber walls.  I am sorry
that I do not have
the details on the specific temperatures used. A while back, I loaned my
PQuest process file out
and never got it back. The PQuest report that I have for nitride dep says that
the deposition
temperatures ranges are from 100 to 300C. In addition, I recall that the
system was used at least
once for a high temperature H2 plasma anneal. I will contact the former
student, who did this
anneal, to see if he recalls what temperature was used. Let me point out a
couple facts about the
tool. At the time of its purchase, InP etching was the main reason why the
heated chuck specified.  Plasmaquest specified that InP etching needs at least
150C. The chuck temperature range in the PQuest specifications is -150C to
+350C. If the chuck was designed to go to 350C, I can not see why it should be
a problem to go to 200C.

While I understand why you are afraid to rock the boat and want to avoid
anything that might slow down your thesis work, I really hate to loss the
heated chuck capability of this
tool. We have no other etcher in the lab with this capability and we have InP
users who could
really use this capability.

    Jim