Poll on Use of PQuest at 200C

Mark Wistey wistey at snowmass.Stanford.EDU
Wed Nov 5 23:43:40 PST 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Jim McVittie wrote:
> I have 2 users, who would like to treat their samples in a H2 plasma at
> temperatures between 200 and 250C. The PQuest should be able to do this
> since it was designed to do PECVD as well as etching in that it has a
> heater in the wafer check.

I have to admit this makes me quite nervous, although I don't know
the internal details of the PQuest enough to know whether my fears are
grounded or not.  PECVD and hydrogen plasmas are very different in how
they attack metals; temperature is not the only thing to worry about.
I know of one MBE system which had all of its cells completely
destroyed (to the tune of $100-200k) because of hydrogen embrittlement
due to the hydrogen plasma source.  It seems a terrible gamble to take
with such a nice piece of equipment--which several of us depend on for
our research.

 - Mark