PQuest Preventive Maintenance

Jim McVittie mcvittie at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Mar 29 10:06:54 PST 2006

Ed,

I think improved maintenance of the PQ is fine but one has to be careful of not
get into unintended consequences, which degrade etch processes. One really does
not want to be opening a Cl etch chamber unless one has to. There are 2 issues.
First, you will introduce water from the cleaning process and second, you will
change the surface chemistry of the chamber walls. Some processes are very
sensitive to the water level in the chamber and all the processes are sensitive
to wall surface chemistry. So the result is it takes a good effort to get a
chamber back to where it should be after a wet clean.  For the Lam etcher, we
were given a 2 page procedure from Lam called “Post We-Clean Chamber Recovery
and Seasoning” to be done after every wet clean. This procedure recommends
running 25 wafers under various conditions.  Although we are not going to run
25 wafers through this system, we need to develop a similar procedure for the
PQ.  I recommend that any chamber cleaning be based on process needs and not on
an arbitrary time bases.

    Jim