PQuest Post Clean Recovery and Sapphire Carriers

Jim McVittie mcvittie at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Mar 29 12:46:04 PST 2006

All,

To help develop a post wet clean recovery process for the PQ, I have attached a
recommended procedure for the Lam etcher. I have also included an in-situ plasma
clean procure for the Lam.
I actually have 2 more in-situ plasma clean procedures for the Lam but I only have
hard copies of them.

Presently, most of the III-V users are using bare Si wafers for their carriers.
This means that they are adding some SiCl4 to their etch process. The good thing
about doing this is that SiCl4 is a useful additive to GaAs etching. On the down
side, Si is a III-V dopant and the exposed Si carrier is changing the free Cl
concentration around the sample. At other universities, sapphire carrier wafers are
sometimes used to avoid the effects of etching the carrier. I have some 4" sapphire
wafers if someone wants to try changing carriers. The change will most likely
affect the etch results plus you will change the apparent bias voltage.

    Jim