Problem pquest SNF 2007-04-24 03:43:25: plasma takes long to strike

jim kruger jimkruger at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 24 18:24:16 PDT 2007

I looked at the recipe.  As part of today's training,
we ran essentially the same recipe and also observed
the delayed strike.  We changed (our version of the
recipe, not yours) to increase pressure to 10 mTorr in
step2 (gas stabilize) and to 5 mTorr in the strike
step.  Still the standard 2 mTorr in the main etch.
It ignited right a way.  I have found this so
effective that I usually reduce the time of the high
power strike step to 5 seconds since it strikes
essentially every time.  There is enough  power ramp
delay that the high power is on for maybe 2 or 3
seconds of the 5 seconds.

It works because the throttle valve is slow enough
that the pressure remains high in the transient
between steps while the power is ramping up.

good luck,

jim