polymer issues?

Patrick Lu patlu at Stanford.EDU
Tue Aug 28 00:29:53 PDT 2007

I think what I'm seeing now is some polymer buildup on my samples that I
didn't see previously (this started before the change of the Cl2 supply).
After using my usual chrome etch recipe the last few times, I've noticed
that not only was I not getting through the chrome layer that I once did
before, but also that there was a black soot-like film building up on my
handle wafer. After running my etch for 20 minutes, that stuff was
everywhere! I can only assume that it's gotten on the inside of the chamber
as well. I'm not able to describe this very well, it might be better if I
show someone. The gases I'm using are Cl2 and O2 in a 10:1 ratio.

I am really at a loss! I've run the same recipe dozens of times before
without any problems. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick