polymer issues?

jim kruger jimkruger at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 28 06:47:08 PDT 2007

This is not polymer and is not a problem.

 It is "black Si",  a roughening of the Si caused by
Cl2 + O2.  The O2 causes SiO2 "nanospots" to nucleate.
 The etchrate is low on SiO2 so Si "Peaks" start to
develop.  The higher etch rate on sloped corners
continues to form the peaks.  The blackness is the
result of high optical absorption due to multiple
reflections in the "valleys" ("stack of razorblades"
effect).

Mike Wiemer had similar suspicions a year or 2 ago and
did SEM to show the roughness and EDAX to show no
contamination, just Si, O2 and Cl2.  I think I still
have his images but won't spam everyone with them.
Ask more if you are still concerned.

jimkruger