BCl3 status on P5000etch and pquest

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Fri Oct 14 14:27:27 PDT 2011

Hi all --

BCl3 has been turned back on P5000etch and Pquest.  No, this is not the
new cylinder, which is still in transit from the East Coast (no delivery
date as yet).  This is the same cylinder which we received and found to
be contaminated.  BCl3 is a low vapor pressure liquid source (4.4 psig)
and we were able to determine that the cylinder appears to have been
charged with an apparently innocuous gas.  Elmer did extensive pumping
on the cylinder to flush the gas and purged the gas lines.  The plasma
has returned to a normal color and Nancy's Al etch rate qual on
p5000etch now looks really good.

Full disclosure:  by available measures, the BCl3 appears to be OK.
However, this experience leaves some concern about the integrity of this
cylinder, so we still plan to replace this cylinder with the new one
when it arrives, to put any lingering doubts to rest.  Please make sure
to run a test sample before committing your own material to a critical
etch.  Please also report any issues on Coral.

And by the way, P5000etch users:  ChA is back online with a replacement
turbo controller.

Thanks for your attention and patience --

Team Etch

--
Mary X. Tang, Ph.D.
Stanford Nanofabrication Facility