Sn as an etching mask?

jim kruger jimkruger at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 16 15:41:54 PDT 2012

Thanks for asking first.

Sn is allowed, but it will not serve as a mask for CL2 etch.  Sn is rapidly etched in Cl2.
It is also very soft and sputters rapidly.

It is not likely to cause III-V issues since SnCl4 is volatile and will be pumped away (BP = 114C).
For even more caution, try to use it in Fluorine week, just before the wet clean.

I think you will need a different mask material anyway.

Why Sn?

SiO2 or Cr would make good masks for Cl2.
What exactly is your requirement?

jim