Anyone know of a good anisotropic Si etch recipe?

Katie Chang kgc at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 14 22:08:02 PDT 2012

Hello PQuesters,

I was wondering if anyone might know of any good recipes for anisotropic
etching of Si. We're currently using a Cl2/O2 recipe that has given us good
results when it works, but that causes pquest to have a weird problem*
about 50% of the time. We're hoping that some experienced pquest users
might have another recipe that pquest might handle better.

Would anyone have any recommendations?

--Katie

**More information on the weird problem*
*
*
The weird pquest problem we're getting is that some days when I run the
recipe, the reflected microwave power will spike up to about 50 and refuse
to be turned down by any tuning of the knobs. Increasing the target power
to try to compensate just increases the reflected the power by the same
amount. For some reason, running an oxygen clean and then immediately
trying to run our Cl2/O2 again will sometimes fix the problem...for about 2
minutes.

We are etching SOI pieces attached to a dummy with carbon tape. However
once this problem starts, it persists even if we take our sample out and
put in a blank dummy wafer.

When we try to etch our sample under these conditions, we've found that the
Si comes out very rough and any metal that we put down as a mask gets
sputtered away very quickly. We aren't sure why.

Anyone ever see this problem before?