Shutdown raith SNF 2007-06-05 10:42:42: shutdown no water flow and system vented 0vernight

jwc at snf.stanford.edu jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Thu Jun 7 16:15:48 PDT 2007

Good afternoon Raith Users:
The NESLAB chiller unit failure and a slight blockage in the turbo pump cooling line took down the system earlier in the week.
I flushed and reverse flushed the cooling loop with city water to 80 psi removing a quantity of black junk, presumably fungus, in the cooling fluids.  Then drained and completely flushed lines again with 1% hydrogen peroxide and water solution to disinfect lines and connections, then drained again.
Finally flushed with 10 gallons run through the entire cooling loop with pure water.
Loaner NESLAB chiller arrived inoperative due to a damaged main circuit breaker. Repaired breaker and restored functionality to loaner chiller.  Connected to RAITH cooling loop and purged all lines of bubbles and topped off with pure water.  Currently the flow is 1.2 lpm, which is below the 2.0 lpm specification for system,  but better than 0.8 lpm flow level before.
Currently pumping down system and gun sections to set points and I am now performing service run up of the FE-Gun. All appears to be normal with the run up and conditions in the FE-Gun section appear normal.
Expect to return system to Users later this eafternoon.  I would be happy to load the system with the next user(s) commencing at 17:30 - 18:00 hours. I expect it will take a week to ten days to reach previous gun vacuum and filament emission values.
Users are NOT TO EXCEED 10 keV acceleration voltage without my permission.  Please call me if you encounter any problems over the weekend, or desire higher acceleration voltages for your EBL write.
Thank you for your support!