Comment raith SNF 2011-04-29 12:15:11: intermittent IEEE-488 buss communication hangs

jwc at snf.stanford.edu jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Fri Apr 29 12:15:12 PDT 2011

Since Wednesday evening there have been several reports to me by phone of problems occurring that I believe are intermittent communciation hangs on the IEEE-488 buss.  This normally occurs in the wee hours of the morning.
These include 'unable to pump load lock' type of messages during the load lock procedures although the Load Lock has reached the 'vacuum ready' status but errored in the Software.  (Always press 'RETRY
and it might take several times to get through the process, but you should be able to complte the LL procedure...)
Today I have encounted Piezo errors whereas we move to center the piezo mounts and it shows in the software but in act the post DO NOT MOVE.
I performed a hardware reset by gracefully exiting both the RAITH150.exe and the windows OS then SHUTDOWN THE RAITH PC COMPUTER.
 Then you can startup as you normally would in the windows OS and RAITH application as normal.  Unfortunately this did not resolve the issues with piezo leveling.
I am now collecting data and am in communications with RAITH troubleshooting this issue.
Please call me if you encounter problems or have any concerns...