Raith: please don't use 15-20.9KV or 23-30KV

James Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Thu Apr 22 08:48:19 PDT 2004

Ji-Won is correct that the dangerous range is the ~18 - 20 keV.  The
threshold for the arcing events we observed before was in the 26.5 keV
total acceleration voltage range. Keep in mind that the beam booster
section of the column accelerated electrons from the 8 keV primary
energy to the specified kEV through the 20 kEV range.  At 20001 - 20100
Volts this section shuts off and ramps back to 0 and then without the
beam booster section applied accelerates electrons to the specified
higher acceleration voltage.  So 20 kEV results in 28 kEV potential
between the gun tip and the anode plate.

I have requested LEO to return to assist in evaluating this problem, but
with no response thus far.  I escalate this with LEO in Germany in the
morning Friday their time.

 Mike Santomango with LEO has been MIA since I returned from Germany two
weeks ago, and I am continuing attempts to reach him,  or someone with
suitable knowledge here in the USA.