Raith shutdown

Clifford Hicks cwhicks at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 16 21:11:23 PDT 2004

We were unable to get an SEM image on either the LEO or RAITH computer.
The image on the LEO computer was almost entirely black, save for some
stripey garbage in a narrow strip at the top that did not change as we
adjusted the brightness/contrast settings, attempted to change the
magnification, blanked and unblanked the beam or rebooted the LEO
computer. Until this is fixed the Raith is not usable.

We had been attempting to do a write at 30 kV; we had received permission
to do so as another test of the system before receiving a new imaging
board. We got an EHT trip between 27 and 28 kV; it appears likely that
this caused our inability to get an SEM image.

Yours,

Clifford Hicks