PLEASE READ: New Raith Reservation Policy Semi-Final Proposal Going Into Effect 2/10/2004

Mark Topinka mtopinka at stanford.edu
Fri Feb 6 22:51:31 PST 2004

New Raith Reservation Policy Semi-Final Proposal Going Into Effect 12:01am
2/10/2004

Hi everyone.
       This email summarizes the consensus that was reached at the end of
Raith townhall meeting (on 2/2/2004) about a new Raith reservation policy
which will go into effect 12:01am Tuesday, February 10th.  James asked me
to summarize and send this out to the group since he has been working
extremely hard this week on Raith maintenance, training, and other issues
and hasn't had time to finish off his Raith-Townhall-meeting-minutes email
yet.  We are hoping that by sending this email now, people who have
questions and/or concerns about these new policies will have enough time to
try and talk to somebody who was at the Raith townhall meeting on 2/2/2004
and/or to email the raith at snf list.

The basic policy is pretty simple:
=============================
At any given moment in time, you may be signed up for no more than 8 total
hours on the Raith.  (Note please! This is a *reservation* cap, not a
*usage* cap- as soon as you finish a given reservation, that time comes off
your total and you may sign up for any available block)
one exception to the 8 hour cap: if you are somebody who absolutely needs
longer than 8 hours per write-session, you may sign up for ONE slot at a
time which is up to 10 hours long.  (to clarify with some examples: two 4h
sessions are ok, one 10h session is ok, but two separate 5h slots are Not
ok.)  No going over these caps by even a half an hour without talking to
James first, please- the entire offending reservation will be removed.
=============================

Also: in conjunction to this new reservation cap, we are hoping to open up
the coral reservation window to two weeks, but John Shott is still working
on that option.  The hope is that this will help to eliminate the 7*24hours
advance 30-minute slot signup problem.   John is also trying to get the
coral system to allow us to make reservations which *begin* at 7*24 hours
in advance as opposed to *ending* at 7*24 hours in the future- this would
eliminate the need for the current practice of sending out emails to the
list each time you start a new reservation.  (although, hopefully, with the
8 hour cap and a 2-week reservation window, the entire 30-minute pounce
problem will no longer be a problem).

A side note: I would respectfully suggest that we not snap-judge the
success or failure of this new policy right away, because the first week is
going to be seriously messed up no matter what we do due to the fact that 4
entire days are being pre-reserved for planned maintenance on the
Raith.  We're basically thinking of trying this policy at least until the
middle of March to see how it works.

A final note: we are in the process of assembling a list of "raith experts"
which we will post next to the Raith with email addresses and phone numbers
so that anybody (beginners OR experts) can call a fellow student Raith user
with questions about problems they're having, or also with questions about
their gdsII patterns, optimal writing voltages, and aperatures.

Thanks for reading this!  I for one am optimistic that this will turn out
to be a pretty good working solution for a Very popular resource.  Have a
great weekend!  -Mark